Monday 14 March 2011

British Pie Week

Well hello to you, and welcome to my food blog. In honour of British Pie Week, I decided to make dinner for my lovely friend Fran (who is turning 24 this week – happy birthday!). 

I’ve always loved traditional English cooking. My mother is a fantastic cook and every Sunday I would help her make our evening meal. Sunday was the one day where the whole family got together and ate dinner, even when my sister and I got older. I learnt to cook during these Sunday afternoon cooking sessions, to start with my madre allowed me to do the easy jobs – chopping onions, frying the meat in batches, etc. As I got older and more proficient I was allowed the honour of making the gravy, which to me is the highlight of any good roast.

I’ve tried to continue this tradition in 2011, so every Sunday this year my boyfriend and I have cooked a ‘proper’ Sunday meal. His fish pie and my Chinese braised lamb being a highlight. 

This Sunday I made steak & roasted shallot pie. It’s a recipe from Good Food, which is my favourite website for cooking inspiration. You can find the recipe here. I served the pie with buttered leeks & peas, braised red cabbage and parsnip & horseradish puree. Overall it was a success, although the meat was a little tough. I often find when the recipe instructs you to cook the filling on the hob, you can’t get the temperature low enough and the meat doesn’t soften. If I make this again, I’ll put it in the oven instead, on a very low heat.

Pie, yum yum!


Zero points for presentation, but it tasted gooood:


No comments:

Post a Comment