Saturday 21 May 2011

Scrambled eggs with chorizo

On Wednesday night I played my favourite game of 'let's see what I can make from the random ingredients in my fridge'. The main ingredients I had were eggs and chorizo, I was going to make an omelette but decided instead to go for some scrambled eggs. I made a chorizo topping with red onion, garlic and thyme which goes surprisingly well with eggs. This recipe is great for a light dinner or a decadent breakfast.

Chorizo is one of my favourite ingredients as the delicious oil the sausage releases makes everything taste amazing with very little effort. Chorizo is a cured Spanish sausage, with an intense smoked paprika taste. Butternut squash risotto topped with chorizo, a little added to a traditional meatball recipe, or with a simple tomato sauce for pasta are all great ways of using this spicy sausage.

For the chorizo topping:
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
100g chorizo, chopped
Sprig of thyme, chopped
  1. Add the onion to a heated pan, with a little oil and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the garlic, chorizo and thyme and cook for a further 15 minutes until the onion is soft and the chorizo has released its paprika scented oil
  2. Serve with scrambled eggs on toast
Onions & chorizo cooking:


Ready to eat:


    1 comment:

    1. Simple yet delicious! That's soon going to be on my breaky plate one Sunday morning.

      ReplyDelete