Wednesday 5 October 2011

Trattoria Da Luigi - Stoke Newington

A few weeks ago, after a Friday evening pint in the newly refurbished (and very nice) Daniel Defoe we headed to Trattoria Da Luigi on Church Street for some dinner. It's a tiny Sicilian restaurant, serving a wide range of pizza, pasta and meat from the grill. The walls are covered in posters and photographs of family and customers, which gives it a local feel you rarely get in London.


I made a bit of a mistake by ordering venison ragu ravioli, which I really wasn't a fan of, but to be honest I think it's more a case of personal taste than bad food. In my mind I was imagining a rich, tomatoey, meat sauce, whereas what I got was more like a course pate with a cream sauce. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Ravioli
Chris ordered a pizza with spicy Sicilian sausage, buffalo mozzarello and jalapenos which was every bit as delicious as it sounds. The base was thin and crispy around the edges, but lovely and light in the middle and the toppings were very generous resulting in some serious food envy. The moral of the story is, when in doubt, order pizza.

Pizza
The food is of a similar standard to Il Bacio, but I prefer the relaxed atmosphere in Trattoria Da Luigi and the fact that it's not quite so busy. I'd definately go back next time I'm in the mood for pizza, but I don't think I'd go for pasta again as so rarely are pasta dishes in the UK any better than what you can cook at home. Best of all they serve San Pellegrino Limonata, which is the best lemonade in the world, fact.

Trattoria Da Luigi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment