Tuesday 27 December 2011

Christmas Day!

I spent Christmas day at home with my family in lovely Essex (they filmed the TOWIE Christmas special in the castle in my village, probably not something to boast about). I live in a small flat in Hackney, so I love coming home to the calm of the countryside and a fully stocked fridge.

We had eleven people to stay this year which meant Christmas eve was spent in the kitchen with my sister and madre prepping for the feast. Even though peeling dozens of brussel sprouts isn't the most exciting job, this is one of my favourite parts of Christmas.

The big day itself was mostly spent eating and drinking - starting with scrambled eggs, bacon, smoked salmon and homemade soda bread. Next we began to work our way through a tin of Quality Street, every year we're convinced we can finish them all but even with eleven of us we didn't manage it. Then onto a traditional turkey roast, probably my favourite meal of the year. I know it's not a very inspired choice and to be honest I don't really like turkey that much, but the festivities that surround the meal make it a winner for me. After dinner we had the obligatory Christmas pudding (yuck), my sister and I also made white chocolate panna cotta & a chocolate cake. Dessert was followed by cheese and plenty of port. This year we had 12 cheeses, so the fridge now smells like a damp cellar - lovely!

I hope you all had very merry Christmas's; I'd love to hear about what you got up to and most importantly what you ate! Here are a few snapshots from the Butler family Christmas (sorry about the picture quality, I forgot my camera so had to make do with my phone):


























No comments:

Post a Comment