Monday 9 January 2012

Mexican Fiesta!

In November my bestest bud from school, Rhiannon, came to visit. We organised a dinner party to celebrate the fact that she is getting married to the lovely Tom! I decided to cook Mexican food as it's easy for everyone to just dig in and eat what they like. Also my housemate is a vegetarian and allergic to wheat (troublemaker) so Mexican food is perfect for her as she can have corn tortillas and lots of beany goodness.

I made a chorizo & butternut squash taco filling and refried black beans from Thomasina Myers' excellent Mexican Food Made Simple. The refried beans or frijoles are perfect for dipping tortilla chips into or spreading on tacos. They are quite time intensive to make, as the beans need boiling for several hours, but it's well worth the effort. I also cooked my spicy bean chilli, one of my favourite vegetarian dishes.

For the meat eaters I cooked 'Starlit Chicken Wraps' from The Londoner blog (warning: do not look on this blog unless you are prepared to have some serious life envy). Lots of juicy, spicy, sweet chicken with whole cherry tomatoes, one of my new favourite things to cook.

And finally I made a huge vat of guacamole, which I'm slightly concerned I'm addicted to. I like my guac super chunky, with lots of coriander and lime to zing the avocado up. Here's my recipe:

Serves 4
2 ripe avocados
1 lime, juice only
Half a bunch coriander, finely chopped
Plenty of seasoning
Tobasco
2 spring onions, finely chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
  1. Cut the avocados in half, remove but do not discard the stones and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocado, you want it to be nice and chunky so don't go too crazy
  2. Next add the lime, coriander, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and LOTS of seasoning. Taste to check the seasoning, adding more if necessary. Now add a few drops of Tobasco to spice it up a little, you can leave this out if you like your guacamole cool
  3. Apparently putting the stones back into the guacamole helps prevent the avocado from turning brown, I'm not sure if it actually works but it can't hurt to do so. If you're making this a few hours ahead of time, I find the best way to keep the avocado a nice bright green is to cover with cling film and press it down lightly so there's no air between the film and the guacamole

Black beans boiling away
Chicken with cherry tomatoes
Butternut squash & chorizo
Three bean chilli

Guacamole

Wrap and chilli

No comments:

Post a Comment