Wednesday 14 September 2011

Le Mercury - Islington

A few weeks ago I went for dinner with the fabulous Francesca and the delightful Alex, and what a joyful evening we had! We ate at Le Mercury, a French restaurant on Upper St which has long been one of my favourites.

There are many things I like about Le Mercury, one of them being the price. Starters are £3.95, mains £7.95 and desserts are £2.95, I can't think of anywhere else in London where you can have a decent 3 course meal for less than £15. I realise that food shouldn't be judged by the price alone, but I should imagine this is one of the reasons it is fully booked every night. The fact that Le Mercury is always so busy is another plus, the atmosphere is always great, although trying to get a table on a Saturday night can be difficult.

To start I had prawns with garlic mayonnaise, hardly haute cuisine but tasty none the less. Fran went for foie gras and Alex had the seafood ravioli, both of which were lovely. For my main course I had the duck (which I have every time I go!) and it was as delicious as ever. It's served rare, with a red wine sauce, garlic mash and sauteed cabbage. So good! Fran had lamb with courgettes which looked delicious and Alex opted for guinea fowl, both of which received very good reviews!

For the first time I decided to try the desserts, which were actually a bit of a disappointment. I went for sticky toffee pudding, which was basically a bit of cake with toffee sauce on top, not great. Fran had creme brulee which was nice, but needed more vanilla.

Le Mercury is a great find amid the mass of over priced chain restaurants in Angel. The food (bar dessert) is consistently good, which is why I've been time and time again. The menu never changes and isn't that varied, but I think that's what allows them to charge so little for the food. It's a great venue for dinner with a group of friends or for a romantic meal if you're on a budget.

The pictures look worse than usual because I had to use the flash as food by candlelight is not photo friendly!

Prawns with garlic mayo:


Duck breast with garlic mash:


Sticky toffee pudding:


Le Mercury on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment